They saved the best for last. As in the Oscars. And pretty much in all other awards.
RC Makati was called last at the District Awards held last Friday, the 23rd of June at the Dusit Thani Manila not because it was the least but because it was “the most” – Most Outstanding Club, that is. This top prize, the most coveted in the district, was paired with the plum honor of Most Outstanding Leadership Award for Pres. David Ackerman, with the lead “Service for Humanity.”
The twin honors were preceded by a shower of 17 other awards, major and minor, in various categories and for various reasons, a happenstance that made Pres. David the most exercised among the 94 club presidents as he went up the stage to receive the trophies from DG Edna Sutter.
Billed as the “All Star Awards—a Parthenon of Stars Shining for Humanity,” the event was attended by Rotarians from all 94 clubs in District 3830 who were there to collect awards and/or to clap for those who did. It was DG Edna’s shining moment as well, a time to give due recognition to the clubs that had met or surpassed targets, set new records, reached milestones and otherwise sweetened the service kitty of the district and their respective clubs, and that of Rotary as well.
Too bad that by the time the major awards were announced, there were only Community Service Dir. Chris Ferareza and First Ann Mache to cheer for Pres. David as the others who had been there earlier—PE Jun Jun Dayrit, Dir. Boy Arteche, and Dir. Porsche Pena —had to leave at some point for other engagements. In any case, Pres. David had enough friends in the audience to give him a rousing rah-rah-rah.
This is the 6th time the Club has won these elusive twin district awards that every club aspires to. The first time was in RY 1988-1989 when the late Gigi Zulueta was president. The others were in 1994-1995 during the term of Carlos del Rosario; 1996-1997 under Ric Librea; 2001-2001 under Jonny Carlos; and in 2002-2003 under Robert Kuan.
Awards won by RC Makati at the All Star Awards
23 June 2017, Dusit Hotel
1. Service to Humanity: Most Outstanding Club
2. Service to Humanity Most Outstanding Leadership Award: ASTP David Ackerman
3. Mixed Gender Challenge Award
4. Governor’s Meritorious Award – Chairman Cecile Dayrit /Rotary Satellite Club of RC Makati Spouses
5. Extra Miler Leadership Gold Award
6. Effective Club Citation 6 Stars
7. District Awards Gold Star -
8. 100% EREY Club
9. 100% Paul Harris Fellows Club
10. Governor’s Award
-- Continuing and Well-Rounded Project Gold Award for “Stop TB Now Project”
-- Continuing and Well-Rounded Project Gold Award for “Supplemental Feeding Program”
-- Partnership Project Silver Award for “Teaching the Deaf to Speak Project”
-- Partnership Project Bronze Award for “Books Across The Seas (BATS)”
-- Partnership Project Bronze Award for “Mentoring the Mentors Project”
11. Membership Champion Gold Award
12. Top 2 Award Highest DISCON Attendance
13. Shelter for Humanity Award – Propagation of Rotary Homes Project
14. The Rotary Foundation’s Centennial Eagle Silver Award
15. Top 8 Award Annual Fund TRF Contribution Per Capita
16. Top 2 Award Annual Fund TRF Contribution Absolute
17. Top 3 Membership Net Gain Absolute
18. The Rotary Foundation Centennial Milestone Award - $2 Million Contribution to TRF on its Centennial Year
19. All Star Distinction Award (6 stars ECC and Gold on District Awards)